As we draw ever closer to RedisConf 2020 Takeaway starting May 12, we want to hear from you about the cool things you use Redis for. The Redis community is one of the most inspiring and creative groups of developers in the world—and we want to showcase the community’s achievements. That’s why we’re excited to announce the Rediscover Redis Competition!
The Rediscover Redis Competition
We’re challenging members of the Redis community to show off how they have rediscovered Redis. Almost every developer knows how to use Redis as a cache to build top-performing applications. But not everyone is leveraging Redis to its fullest potential.
We’re collecting stories from the Redis community to highlight examples of Redis’ versatility and demonstrate how Redis is behind some of our most successful applications. And you can get some pretty sweet prizes from participating—the top three submissions get their projects featured in the keynote at RedisConf Takeaway and a Valve Index VR Kit (a $999 value)!
So what do you have to do? With this year’s Rediscover Redis theme at RedisConf Takeaway, we want you to submit your project explaining how you have “rediscovered” Redis and taken advantage of more of its limitless potential.
While you can submit your project in a variety of forms, we’re encouraging video submissions—with every valid submission we receive, Redis Labs will donate $100 to the Feeding America COVID-19 Response Fund, a national food-raising effort supporting food banks, children out of school, and people out of work during this difficult time.
Every Rediscover Redis Competition submission must include a few key elements:
- Name, email, company, project description, and link to your project if possible.
- Optional demo videos must be linked from a platform like YouTube. There will be no option to upload directly to the site.
Here’s what we’re grading on:
- Project must implement Redis for a use case beyond caching—be sure to explain how in the description.
- Entries will be judged by their innovative and extensive use of Redis capabilities beyond cache.
- Extra consideration given to submissions that describe business value achieved and include videos.
Note: Redis Labs reserves the right to use submitted videos for marketing purposes
Submissions are due by end of day Friday, April 17, 2020. Winners will be notified by April 24, 2020.
Tips and inspiration
Wondering what would make a great video? Check out the winning Redis Day Bangalore Hackathon projects. Redis Geeks were challenged to demonstrate how to use Redis beyond caching in three categories: Event-Driven Architecture; Redis Modules; and Integrations, Plug-ins, Clients, and Frameworks.
The three winning projects were:
- Streaming Video on Steroids, created by Prashanth Pai, Neel Dalsania, and Ramey Girdhar using Redis Streams and RediSearch. The application transcribes videos and matches the words to clips in the video, allowing a user to search in a video for a specific phrase or mention.
- Story of Being On-Call, created by Atish Andhare. The RedisTimeSeries-powered Slackbot was designed to provide quick observations of your systems on the go, such as when you’re commuting or traveling.
- Real-Time Fraud Detection, created by Sachin Kottarathodi and Ritesh Ghodrao. Their project uses Redis data structures and modules to detect fraud in real time.
That’s all there is to it! We’re excited to see your projects and hear how you’re using Redis beyond caching.
Even if you don’t submit a video, don’t miss RedisConf 2020 Takeaway, starting May 12. RedisConf is a learning conference for developers and cloud professionals from the makers of the world’s most-loved database. It offers the perfect opportunity to dive into the latest innovations and trends in data platforms, share your ideas, learn from valuable experiences of Redis users across the globe, and get hands-on training. Register for free here.