Redis for High Speed Transactions
Simple Yet Powerful
High speed transactions are the mainstay of the financial industry, and are characterized by very high throughput and extremely low latency requirements. In addition to raw performance, transaction requirements include atomicity, consistency, isolation and durability.
Advantages of Using Redis for High Speed Transactions
- Redis delivers blazing fast performance with its native C, in-memory implementation and optimized data structures that enable extremely fast processing of data
- Redis supports Lua scripting allowing massive calculations and complex operations right where the data is stored
- With MULTI/EXEC commands and with Lua scripting, Redis effectively delivers the atomicity and isolation required for transactions.
- Durability is configurable by using AOF persistence mechanisms for single instance Redis. Redis Enterprise provide multiple consistency mechanisms in clustered highly available Redis, through a combination of the WAIT command, the proxy architecture and cluster manager component which uses algorithms to resolve cluster consistency issues.
Redis Uses in Financial Services
- A binary options PaaS uses Redis to deliver millions of price/currency pairs to subscriber systems over 10 times/second with <1 ms latency
- A large financial investment firm uses Redis to implement sequential processing of multi-threaded transactions at extremely low latencies, for session storage, login ranking, and distributed locking
- Xignite, the market data cloud, powering over 1,000 fintech clients, uses Redis for high speed computations, frequently requested data feeds and pub/sub.