Creating Databases on Redis Enterprise VPC (RV)
Once you have a subscription, you can easily create a database in Redis Enterprise VPC by following these steps:
- Select Databases from the top right menu in Redis Enterprise VPC.
- Click on the + button to add a database to a Subscription.
- Protocol – Select whether the database will be Redis or Memcached
- Enter a Database Name that is up to 40 characters long;
- Enter a Memory Limit. Please take in mind that replication is on.
- If your database will run with Redis on Flash, please specify your average item size(in bytes). This will allow us to configure your database in the most optimal way.
- Enter the required throughput. The minimum is 500,000 ops/sec or you can specify the number of shards needed.
- Select your preferred Data Persistence option.
- Enter a password to secure your database; this is highly recommended.
- Enter a Source IP/Subnet that you would like to require source traffic (i.e. your application server) to come from.
- Choose a Data Eviction Policy or accept the default.
- Periodic backups – If you would like periodic backups of your database, enter the path to storage here. For specific information visit Configuring Database Backups for Redis Enterprise Cloud.
- You can add Alert Settings for your database so that you and your team can be alerted when thresholds are passed.
- Click “Activate.”
Once “Activate” is clicked, a few of things happen in the background:
- RV will calculate the number of shards needed for this database.
- RV will calculate whether there is enough space to fit the database with the current infrastructure or expansion of the underlying infrastructure is required.
- It will also check that you have enough unused shards in your subscription.
If a new infrastructure needs to be deployed, or more shards need to be purchased, you will be prompted with a popup showing you the additional instances/shards that are needed for this database and their cost. Please review this information and approve the addition. Once approved, the activation will take place.
Once activated, the screen presents detailed information while the system is creating the database. There are two things on this page to look for:
- An orange spinning icon on the top right to turn to a green checkmark
- The Endpoint issued for the new database