Since its inception in 2010, Freshworks has grown to become a global leader in customer engagement software. The company’s cloud-based suite of business software, led by its flagship support product Freshdesk, is used by over 150,000 organizations worldwide. As Freshworks continues to rapidly expand its product and user base, it relies on Redis Enterprise Cloud, enterprise-grade Redis from Redis Labs, to perform a wide variety of critical database functions while keeping application responsiveness lightning fast.Read the Press Release
Solving More Problems with Less Manual Human Effort
As the company’s database load grew, it was having trouble scaling performance. Freshworks needed to reduce the burden on its primary MySQL database, but was finding that its current caching solution, open-source Redis as provided by Amazon ElastiCache, was creating more problems than it was solving. “ElastiCache didn’t support live migrations so if we wanted to migrate data from one instance to another, several weeks of manual human effort were required in order to avoid downtime,” says Abhishek Dhulipudi, Site Reliability Engineer. “This limitation really slowed down our product development lifecycle.”
- Dynamic scaling without compromise. On-the-fly increase and shrinking of the cluster without compromise to availability
- Decrease burden of database. Significantly decrease load to MySQL database to improve application response times
- Automation of database service delivery. Ensure high availability and seamless database experience as an infrastructure service for developers
Redis Enterprise Benefits
- Seamless expansion. Redis Enterprise enabled seamless, zero-downtime expansion of service across multiple regions
- Automated scalability. Redis Enterprise delivers seamless and limitless scale with dramatically improved request/ response times
- Comprehensive front-end solution. Redis Enterprise supports atomic operations with sophisticated data structures to provide high performance caching and other critical front-end database services
“We have around 67 services right now and all of them use Redis Enterprise in some way. Without its seamless functioning and automation, we would still be putting an unsustainable amount of effort into infrastructure and operations management. Redis Enterprise has helped our teams focus on innovation and business growth to successfully expand our product portfolio and serve new geographies.”
In addition to using Redis Enterprise as a front-end cache for its MySQL database, Freshworks also uses Redis Enterprise for rate limiting and metering, as a persistent data store, as a session store for authentication of their microservices and real-time analytics.
“Every request that comes into Freshdesk touches Redis Enterprise in one way or another,” says Abhishek Dhulipudi, Site Reliability Engineer at Freshworks. “By offloading several key database functions to Redis Enterprise, we’ve been able to decrease our number of MySQL database instances, while significantly increasing application response times and our ability to scale.”
Seamless Infrastructure and Operations Management
As a fully managed database-as-a-service offering, Redis Enterprise removes all operational barriers for Freshworks. Its automated scaling, failover, cluster creation, persistence, and high availability were huge selling points as they contemplated an upcoming expansion from three to five regions.
“We have around 67 services right now and all of them use Redis Enterprise in some way,” says Janakiraman. “Without its seamless functioning and automation, we would still be putting an unsustainable amount of effort into infrastructure and operations management. Redis Enterprise has helped our teams focus on innovation and business growth to successfully expand our product portfolio and serve new geographies.”