Redis Stars

Billion Downloads Club

One Billion is a significant milestone! That number could not have been achieved without the support of the Redis community.

The Redis Stars is celebrating this landmark achievement by telling us their own Redis stories:

Hear from Redis Stars in the Billion Downloads Club

Joe Conte

What company do you work for?
Cerkl

What’s your title?
Chief Technology Officer

What do you like to do in your free time, any hobbies or activities? How did you get into them?
I love to coach my kids’ sports teams since I played sports growing up and they like having me as their coach. I also like watching and following the various professional and college sports leagues and teams.

Why do you use Redis (personal projects, job)?
I use Redis with my job. It is really simple to implement and use as a user session store and is very fast and scalable.

How did you come across Redis?
One of my team members suggested making use of Redis. After talking through the suggestion, it was a no-brainer to make use of the technology.

How do you use Redis in your environment?
We use Redis as a user session store. It performs really well in this capacity and we’ve never had any issues.

Why do you like Redis?
I like Redis for a few basic reasons: it filled a need for us in managing user sessions, was really easy to get up and running, and it was cost effective. Beyond that, it is reliable and fast and we have not encountered any issues with our implementation.

What are your favorite Redis commands?
SET
GET
DEL

How do you use these commands in your job?
It’s pretty simple – set the value for a given key (save something off in the session), get the value for a given key (retrieve previously saved session data), and delete keys that are no longer needed. It sounds really basic, and it is, but extremely fast and effective.

Manjeet Kumar

Birchstreet Systems

What’s your title?
Sr. Team leader (S/W development)

What do you like to do in your free time, any hobbies or activities? How did you get into them?
In Free time i like watch movies, try my hands on some new languages & API.

Personal projects. But, I am soon going to introduce it in my organization.

Through a blog.

Currently, I am using it with windows & with JAVA.

Why do you like Redis?
It’s amazingly fast & has best scalability.

APPEND
EXEC
EVAL

1. APPEND – To append value to key.
2. EXEC – To execute all commands in transaction. Because it executes them all in order.
3. EVAL – This is quite helpful, when it comes to write & execute logic in lua. And, LUA is definetely recommended if you want to do something in depth in redis.

Andrei Volodin

Upwork

What’s your title?
Freelancer

I do internet research and freelance tasks, I got to that activities historically, after graduation. However I am looking for a full time employment and that is another my major occupation in case I have free time.

I have some ongoing projects that utilize Redis, I have to stay tuned.

Some work need caused me to get to Redis.

It is being used in cloud infrastructure that I maintain.

Why do you like Redis?
It is simple, fast, and well structured, in my opinion. And that is why I do like Redis.

UNLINK
DEL
GET

I execute the commands.

Christophe Jean

Webedia

What’s your title?
Technical Manager

Geeking

Mostly personal projects

Web recommendations

As a cache server.

Why do you like Redis?
It’s simple and scalable.

GET
SET
EXPIRE

It’s the best tool for cache functionality.

Ayush Rawal

Indian Institute of Information Technology Kota

What’s your title?
Student

Explore, discovered my love for it when I moved into a new city. Network and socialize. Sleep, cause I’m usually running low on it.

Wherever possible. I started using it for a personal project in a web dev competition. After discovering it’s awesomeness I try to use it everywhere, whether I’m building stuff for my college or for my freelancing clients

While reading about session management in nodejs(express framework). We were looking for a secure and fast way to store user session data, initially we were going with mongo but after discovering Redis decided to go for it. No regrets.

For cache and session management, and for holding small amount critical data we store the encrypted session as a serialized string, when we’re expecting heavy load we implement a cache to store frequently requested data.

Why do you like Redis?
It’s blazing fast!!! Fastest in the world. The data structures provided are ample for any task. I love hashes and sorted sets, and the stream and bitfield support is great. The Great documentation is a plus too!

SCAN
SUBSCRIBE
WATCH

SCAN to retrieve values in a non-blocking manner (I love the node philosophy), SUBSCRIBE to receive messages without opening a socket on the server, WATCH so a client doesn’t promise what we don’t have

Share your Redis experience

Join the Redis Stars to see what others wrote, how you can too, and earn tons of points for your writing!

Join Now

Share your Redis experience

Join the Redis Stars to see what others wrote, how you can too, and earn tons of points for your writing!

Join Now