Jenny is looking to buy a new pair of sandals for the summer, so she checks out her favorite retailer’s website. As she browses the selection and clicks on the shoes she’s interested in, she notices that each page takes forever to load. Frustrated, she goes to another retailer’s website, where she makes her purchase.
This is just one example demonstrating why instant database performance is so critical. Research indicates that apps have roughly 100 milliseconds—one-third of the time it takes to blink—before users begin to feel that they’re waiting for a response. The problem is that a round-trip request and response to internet servers can easily take 50ms. The processing of the request can take another 50ms, which basically leaves no time for the database to respond. That means that modern databases have to respond in less than 1ms to avoid becoming a performance bottleneck!
Instant performance is one of the many requirements of modern databases, and one of a number of trends transforming the demands on the databases in your organization’s technology stack. Today’s databases face unprecedented challenges: they must work with mountains of disparate data, return results in the blink of an eye, and cope with hugely complex technology environments, all while remaining easy to work with and highly available.
Keeping up with industry trends is important to ensure you don’t fall behind. That’s why leaders, decision makers, and experts in every industry spend sizeable amounts of time dissecting and analyzing the latest trends in the database space.
We’ve made it easy to stay ahead of the curve with our new e-book, 9 Things Your Database Must Do. You’ll learn how:
- Modern applications are reshaping the requirements for databases and enabling a shift towards digital economy.
- The role of the database administrator is changing.
- To make development easier by exploring the requirements for cloud-native architectures and tooling.
Learn about the eight other requirements of modern databases by downloading the new e-book for free now. And while you’re at it, check out some of our other resources:
- Real-Time Inventory: How Retailers Gain a Competitive Advantage with Redis Enterprise explores how retailers can deliver a seamless brick-and-mortar to digital customer experience to meet critical customer expectations in an omni-channel world.
- Redis Microservices for Dummies explains key microservices terms and concepts, and reveals how a microservices architecture can help make your apps more scalable, easier to manage and update, and more resilient.